About the SPEF 5th Grade Musical Program
The Fifth Grade Musical is a South Pasadena tradition that brings together students from all three elementary schools. This fall, fifth-grade students will begin rehearsing a popular musical, in preparation for performances via Zoom.
The 5th Grade Musical production is self-sustaining with all staff and expenses covered by ticket sales and student tuition for the program. It is made possible through the high-level of involvement from parent volunteers who handle everything from supervising rehearsals and designing posters to applying makeup and working backstage and props.
SPEF 5GM FAQ’s
Who Can Register
Registration is open to current SPUSD 5th grade students.
How to Register
How to Register:
- Registration is online at https://spef4kids.campbrainregistration.com.
- If new to SPEF programs, you can create an account now and add household information.
- On Wednesday, September 9 log in to your account and at 9am, the 5GM 2020-2021 ‘Start Application’ button will appear on your home page. You may need to refresh the page in your browser at 9am if you logged in earlier. During registration you will need to:
- Update your student’s grade.
- Add either ‘Wednesday Rehearsal’ or ‘Friday Rehearsal’ to your cart. Please note, this is just an indication of your preferred day for Rehearsals in September & October – We will try to accommodate your preference, but may have to reassign your day to balance ‘pod’ numbers. From November, students must be available Wednesdays & Fridays, to meet production needs.
- Select T-shirt size (included in registration), and add extra t-shirts you’d like to purchase.
- Add Sponsorship ($100+), Donation ($25+) or Early-bird ‘Congratulations’ program listing options ($50).
- Complete Household/Publicity Waiver, Medical & School Forms.
- Select Payment method:
- Credit card in full/by installment (Deposit & Installments in Oct, Nov, Dec & Jan).
- Cash/Check at the SPEF office by Sept 11, 12pm.
- Tuition Assistance is available – Email SPEF before registration with any questions.
- Your registration is not complete until you press submit.
- You will receive a confirmation email once you press submit. Check your spam.
- By Registering, you agree to SPEF’s Refund, Attendance & Publicity Policies.
- The registration portal will close on Friday, September 11 at 12pm.
Parent Information Meeting
- We will hold a Parent Information Meeting by Zoom on Wednesday, September 2 from 7:00 PM – 7:45 PM. Join members of SPEF & Upstage to get answers to any questions not covered in this handout. For privacy we are not making the link public but have sent it to 5th grade parents in the handout.
Attendance, Behavior & Supervision Policy
- The Attendance Policy requires that students are available to attend all 113 hours of planned rehearsals, unless ill. Rehearsals are most Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays from September to February, and Saturday afternoons in January. Please review the Rehearsal Calendar at www.SPEF4kids.org to confirm your student is available all planned hours.
- At times, students will be required to watch others rehearse. The Behavior Policy requires that students be quiet and observant at this time, and show respect to fellow students, staff, and volunteers. Do not register your student if you think this might be a challenge for your student.
- Supervision & Sign in/out policies also apply – Students must be supervised between school dismissal and the start of rehearsal, and Signed In & Out each rehearsal.
Wait List Policy
- Registration is final once the portal closes or the program is full. If you would like to be put on the wait-list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Moving from the wait-list into the program is dependent on a student dropping from the program. There are no guarantees that being on the wait-list will result in your student getting into the program.
- Email email@example.com if you need to drop your student from the musical. SPEF will offer Refund less $75 Admin fee until October 9.
Costumes, Makeup & Props:
- Makeup can be worn if it helps a student’s performance.
- Costumes will be basic, most likely a t-shirt or shirt without logo, black leggings/pants.
- We will provide information about Costume/Prop needs once we’re into rehearsals.
During registration, please let us know if you have specific skills & time to help in any of these areas:
- Digital File Management
- T-shirt & Poster Design
- Break-Out Room Supervisor
- Props or Costuming needs
- As a Guest Speaker – Theater, Makeup, Hair, Costumes, Lighting, Stage Management.
- Followup/General Help